I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to be able to write this blog post and it is so exciting to finally be able to do it!
Many of you know that for the past many years our family has been leasing our home/farm (pretty much since we launched Polder's Old World Market and moved to the mountains), and that just last autumn we were able to purchase outright a beautiful little 1940s farmhouse on 2 acres, which was an absolute miracle from God and something we didn't see happening for a number of years into the future! Many of you participated in the sale events we held online to pull together the money to purchase our home, and we cannot describe how much that means to us! Without you, we couldn't have done it.
While it is undeniably a special kind of blessing to own our home outright (and something we do not take for granted for one second), it was a HUGE adjustment moving into this home and small piece of land. We had previously been leasing a very large lodge-type home on over 100 acres, and we had a nice workshop space for our woodworking business, a huge basement to pack orders in, and lots of land for our livestock.
We had to sell most of our livestock to make this move, and many of our belongings are still in storage because we simply cannot fit them into this house. A lot of our furniture is large and meant to be in large rooms, so we are having to think about trading out pieces that are not family heirlooms for smaller pieces that are more suited to the small rooms in our "new" old farmhouse. The house is built like a fortress, by the way, and is very NICE and quite beautiful, it is just much smaller than what we lived in before.
We moved our entire woodshop into a tiny garage a few steps away from the house, and that is where we are making all our dreamware right now! It is *barely* workable, but we are creative and determined, and we are getting things done in the space we have. God has always forced us to learn to be creative and overcome challenges in a pioneering sort of way, and that has played a huge role in shaping our unique brand and our skill sets, so it is something we are quite grateful for.
Okay, so now you have a little backstory for why this news I'm about to tell you is so big and exciting!
Some of you may remember me mentioning that our "big" garden is on our neighbor's property, and that our milk cows are on the same neighbor's land (we couldn't keep them in our yard). This particular neighbor has been such a blessing to us! I know that term is overused but I don't know how else to describe him but a BIG BLESSING. He is truly so kind and generous, and out of all of the neighbors we've ever had, he is in the top 3 best neighbors of our life. He grew up in this valley and is such a wealth of information and is the kind of guy who would just do anything for you. Because our cows have been on his land, we have seen him almost every day since we've lived here and he has become a true friend.
Yesterday, we CLOSED officially and became the new owners of the land that has been a part of our daily life since we moved here! Yes! We suddenly have a FARM again!
Beyond the obvious fact that it is exciting to have some land to work with again, there are a few reasons this is extra special and incredible.
1. This land wraps around the lot our home sits on, so it very naturally expands our existing home and acreage into a beautiful little farm-- another miracle that we did NOT see happening any time soon.
2. The farm we just bought used to belong to the same family who built our farmhouse. That same family (the Rasnics) owned the farmhouse until we purchased it. Our neighbor also bought his farm from the Rasnic family and he lived on it for most of his life, but now it has become part of the original property again (which is super cool).
3. Did I mention that the property is GORGEOUS? It is supposed to be about 25 acres, but a good friend of ours who is a logger and is very familiar with acreage said that it is the largest 25 acres he has ever walked, and insists that it is more like 60 acres. I have to agree that I can't see it only being 25 acres, it feels much bigger than that.
4. There is a very nice, newer little home on the land that we will remodel and use for a guest house, but we will also be moving our inventory and packing station up there (we currently have our inventory and packing station set up in one of our sitting rooms), which will free up much needed living space within our farmhouse. Of course this also means that electric, water and septic system are already in place, which is a huge benefit.
5. There are a multitude of fruit trees and gorgeous flowers planted around the house, which means so much to us. We cannot wait to get it all cleaned up and in order so it can shine!
6. There is a swatch of woods between our farmhouse and the little house on the new farm (the woods are part of the farm). Not only are the woods absolutely beautiful, but as soon as you hit the tree line the elevation begins to rise all the way up to the open pasture and the little house, and once you get up there on the hill, you have the most BEAUTIFUL view ever! We seriously couldn't ask for a prettier addition to our land.
The only sad part of this whole thing is that our neighbor won't live right next door any more, but he is very excited about his new home and he lives right down the road still and promises we will see him often, which is great.
If you've made it through this long story, thank you for sharing our excitement! We have so many plans for expanding our farming and business and we cannot wait to share all of the big ideas and plans with you, but I will save it for another blog post so this one doesn't get even more exhaustive.
Thank you all for being a part of our journey... we are so thrilled to be able to share it with all of you, and we are looking forward to including you guys in all of the amazing developments on our new forever farm!
To celebrate, we are giving away $500 in made-to-order dreamware shop credit! To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment and let us know what you think about this huge news, or if you have any questions!
The giveaway is open to US and international entrants over 18 years of age and will close on Monday night 6/7/21 at midnight EST. I will announce a winner the following day!